The Official RONR Q & A Forums

changing the statement in the minutes

Guest Steve

I understand that from previous organizations I've belonged to. This organization how everyone, doesn't not follow Roberts Rules. Or many rules for that matter. My issue is that their version of my comments change the entire context of my report. This is deliberately being done to discredit me. My concern is that one might argue that the corrected comments could create a defamation situation. I defended my statements and the context which they were made. I don't want this to be turned around on me.

14 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

No, but the entire issue should be made irrelevant by the fact that remarks of any kind don't belong in the minutes.

The minutes are a record of what was done, not what was said.

I understand that from previous organizations I've belonged to. This organization how everyone, doesn't not follow Roberts Rules. Or many rules for that matter. My issue is that their version of my comments change the entire context of my report. This is deliberately being done to discredit me. My concern is that one might argue that the corrected comments could create a defamation situation. I defended my statements and the context which they were made. I don't want this to be turned around on me.

This forum answers questions on Robert's Rules.  If your organization has not adopted RONR as your parliamentary authority we can offer only sympathy for your situation.

And that you have.

But if legally actionable effects result from this, you may have legal recourse.  Legal advice, however is another area we can't help with.

3 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

This forum answers questions on Robert's Rules.  If your organization has not adopted RONR as your parliamentary authority we can offer only sympathy for your situation.

And that you have.

But if legally actionable effects result from this, you may have legal recourse.  Legal advice, however is another area we can't help with.

They have adopted Roberts Rules in the Bylaws. They don't follow them. 

4 minutes ago, Guest Steve said:

They have adopted Roberts Rules in the Bylaws. They don't follow them. 

Have you actually raised a Point of Order on this?   You might at least get the remarks deleted.  But if a majority is against you, you don't have that many options.  Even though the rule says remarks should not be included, the assembly can, by majority vote, order them included.

9 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Have you actually raised a Point of Order on this?   You might at least get the remarks deleted.  But if a majority is against you, you don't have that many options.  Even though the rule says remarks should not be included, the assembly can, by majority vote, order them included.

I tried to raise a point of order another time. They had no idea what I was doing. This is a group that does not respect the laws of the organization. They use them when they need them to further their agenda. I can't win. Just trying to protect myself.

8 hours ago, Guest Steve said:

I tried to raise a point of order another time. They had no idea what I was doing. This is a group that does not respect the laws of the organization. They use them when they need them to further their agenda. I can't win. Just trying to protect myself.

State it, and they don't undershand, exp;aon it to them.

9 hours ago, Guest Steve said:

43 minutes ago, J. J. said:

State it, and they don't undershand, exp;aon it to them.

And buy them a copy of RONR in Brief:  http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html.

Or a copy Robert's Rules for Dummies by C. Alan Jennings.  Just keep in mind that this book is not itself a parliamentary authority, but is a book ABOUT Robert's Rules of Order that explains it very well.

Edited to add:  RONR in Brief is about $7 on Amazon and Robert's Rules for Dummies is about $13.

Edited by Richard Brown

55 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

And buy them a copy of RONR in Brief:  http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html.

Or a copy Robert's Rules for Dummies by C. Alan Jennings.  Just keep in mind that this book is not itself a parliamentary authority, but is a book ABOUT Robert's Rules of Order that explains it very well.

Edited to add:  RONR in Brief is about $7 on Amazon and Robert's Rules for Dummies is about $13.

Agreed, if they'd read either. 

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
14 hours ago, Guest Steve said:

This is a group that does not respect the laws of the organization. They use them when they need them to further their agenda. I can't win. Just trying to protect myself.

Then you should quit and get a lawyer if necessary.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.