The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nomination rights

Jprewitt

I'm a member of a volunteer fire department organization and the president of it as well. I have a member who wants to run for the president upcoming election.  This person just showed back up to the fire department the last week of June without proper leave of absent being followed. The member was gone 2-3 years before coming back.  In our bylaws is it states that members are to show up 50% of the training each year.  Also states members have to show up for yearly fundraisers which consist of 3-5 fundraisers a year or member forfeits membership. My question is this, does this member have nomination rights. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

57 minutes ago, Jprewitt said:

Also states members have to show up for yearly fundraisers which consist of 3-5 fundraisers a year or member forfeits membership. 

Only your organization can interpret your bylaws, but if he didn't show up for yearly fundraisers, it sounds like he forfeits his membership.  Did he rejoin?  (I'm thinking he did since you refer to him as a member.)  If so, he can run unless you have specific qualifications for nomination in your bylaws (if you have rules about who can serve, and he doesn't meet them, he probably shouldn't run since he can't serve, but that doesn't stop him from being nominated, probably).  If he isn't a member, then he can't run - assuming your rules require that officers be members.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.