The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Committee Constituted in VIolation of the Bylaws

Guest Bruce Carter

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry not to have responded sooner. My understanding of the proposed resolution of this issue is:

1. A bylaw ammendment to accept the results of a previously held (but inconsistent with the bylaws) as outlined by JJ would be appropriate to, in essence, validate the results of the election retroactively. (This despite the admonitions about making temporary changes in the bylaws; I'd find the exact reference but am about to go off to another meeting.) This solution is very appealing to the members of the (illegally constituted?) Executive Committee and the ad hoc committee on Bylaws which it appointed.

Question: would it be possible to pass a simple motion to accept the the results rather than passing a bylaw amendment (which then permanently appears in the Bylaws until modified out)?

Thanks for the advice.

I think not.  I do not believe bylaw violations can be handwaved away simply by a vote.   Admittedly through Points of Order and Appeal the assembly could try to handwave it away but for that to work you basically have an assembly that needs to admit "Yeh we violated the bylaws but we don't care." and in that case why even pretend to have bylaws.

On 12/1/2017 at 10:11 AM, Bruce Carter said:

Question: would it be possible to pass a simple motion to accept the the results rather than passing a bylaw amendment (which then permanently appears in the Bylaws until modified out)?

No.  That motion would be in conflict with the current bylaws and therefor out of order. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.