The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Slowing down a vote

Guest StudentGovHouseLeader

Guest StudentGovHouseLeader

I am a student government House leader at a midsize university. The current problem I am having is students will motion to previous question soon as a piece of legislation is opened up for debate which is then approved. Is there a way for me to overrule or "not be in favor of that motion at this time"? Can someone help?? Thanks.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

If you mean that the motion for the Previous Question is duly adopted by two-thirds vote, then no, there is nothing you can do. That is the will of the assembly. On the other hand, if a member moves the Previous Question every time a motion comes before the House, and is always shot down on a vote, you might rule that he or she is being dilatory.

And if you mean that as soon asthe member moves the previous question, you proceed to immedailey vote on the pending "piece of legislation," then you are not handling the process properly. The proper way to handle a motion for the previous question is:

1. a member (after being recognized by the chair) moves the previos quetion;
  2. anotrher member seconds the mnotion;
  3. the chair puts the motioin for the previous question to a standing vote; and
  4. if at least tw-thirds of those present and voting vote in favor, the previous question is ordered, and then the pendiing legislation is voted on; or
  5. if l;ess than two-thirds vote in favor, the motion for the previous question is lost, and consideration of the pending legilation continues.

2 hours ago, Guest StudentGovHouseLeader said:

The current problem I am having is students will motion to previous question soon as a piece of legislation is opened up for debate which is then approved. Is there a way for me to overrule or "not be in favor of that motion at this time"?

Well, you're free to not be in favor of it, but you're not free to say so in debate, unless you're using small board rules.  You can also vote against it only if your vote will make a difference.  Sounds like they want to go home; maybe try providing food and drink at meetings so people are in less of a rush?  I don't think it would be all that inappropriate, when no business is pending, to make a general statement that the assembly might wish to give motions fuller consideration.  On the other hand, it may be that the body knows what it wants, and doesn't want to waste time.  It's your job (in part) to protect the body from wasting its time, not to help it spend longer than needed to conduct business, so you might just count yourself lucky.

12 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Well, you're free to not be in favor of it, but you're not free to say so in debate, unless you're using small board rules.

I don’t think he’s free to say that in debate even with small board rules, since the Previous Question is not debatable.

15 hours ago, Guest StudentGovHouseLeader said:

I am a student government House leader at a midsize university. The current problem I am having is students will motion to previous question soon as a piece of legislation is opened up for debate which is then approved. Is there a way for me to overrule or "not be in favor of that motion at this time"? Can someone help?? Thanks.

I concur with my colleagues, although I would add that the maker of the main motion has preference in recognition, so at least he should be able to speak before anyone can move the previous question.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.