The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Chang

Do Mr. Chairman have the right to said that what Mr. Chairman put on the agenda or bring into the meeting is already a motion and there are no need to motion item(s) that are on the agenda?  The problem is this...when we meet, someone said that we need to motion an item that was on the agenda before we open discuss.  Mr. Chairman said, "what I bring or put on the agenda is already a motion.  It is black and white; no need for a motion."  Can Mr. Chairman do that? Where do I find it in Robert's Rule said that he can or can not?

An item on an agenda - even if it is a recommendation - is not a motion, and no motion is on the floor until and unless someone moves it. That is often the person who had it added to the agenda - or the chair or other member of a committee whose recommendation is part of its report, but nothing is automatically on the floor because it is included on the agenda.

2 hours ago, Guest Chang said:

Do Mr. Chairman have the right to said that what Mr. Chairman put on the agenda or bring into the meeting is already a motion and there are no need to motion item(s) that are on the agenda?  The problem is this...when we meet, someone said that we need to motion an item that was on the agenda before we open discuss.  Mr. Chairman said, "what I bring or put on the agenda is already a motion.  It is black and white; no need for a motion."  Can Mr. Chairman do that? Where do I find it in Robert's Rule said that he can or can not?

No.  Mr. Chairman is flat wrong.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.