The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ad Hoc Committee motion to amend

Guest Walt Gite

Guest Guest Walt Gite

Leadership board nominating a list of six names to serve on an ad hoc staff search committee to hire a new staff member. General membership meeting required to approve the committee in by-laws. Special Meeting has been called for the general membership to approve the committee  that the board has nominated. 

2 hours ago, Guest Walt Gite said:

Special Meeting to appoint an ad hoc committee approved by board.  Can a motion be made from the floor to amend the proposed committee, adding/replacing/deleting names?

56 minutes ago, Guest Guest Walt Gite said:

Leadership board nominating a list of six names to serve on an ad hoc staff search committee to hire a new staff member. General membership meeting required to approve the committee in by-laws. Special Meeting has been called for the general membership to approve the committee  that the board has nominated. 

Based on the additional facts provided, my own view would be that the membership may delete names (if the membership wishes to confirm some of the proposed members, but not all of them), but may not add or replace names. RONR does not discuss this particular arrangement, but it seems to be analogous to the procedure of nominations by the chair. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 494-495.

Edited by Josh Martin

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

Based on the additional facts provided, my own view would be that the membership may delete names (if the membership wishes to confirm some of the proposed members, but not all of them), but may not add or replace names. RONR does not discuss this particular arrangement, but it seems to be analogous to the procedure of nominations by the chair. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 494-495.

I reached the same conclusion.

52 minutes ago, Guest Walt Gite said:

Bylaws give board power to appoint committees for this purpose. The motion is being made at a special meeting at the request of the leadership board. 

So 494-495 applies?

You said that the bylaws authorize the board to appoint the members of the committee, but the appointments must be approved by the membership. RONR has no method of appointing committees which exactly matches that procedure. The procedure of nominations by the chair seems the closest.

30 minutes ago, Guest Walt Gite said:

So a member can move to strike a name, requiring a second, discussion, and majority vote?

Yes.

30 minutes ago, Guest Walt Gite said:

Motion to strike a name would be analogous to a motion to amend, correct?

It is a motion to amend.

Edited by Josh Martin

If nominations by the chair is the analogy/method, and one name or more is struck by the general membership, would the chair have to make nominations on the spot, or could the motion be passed without those names eliminated? I ask because the board discussed the nominees, and the board is analogous to the chair, as you’ve said. To fill the vacancies left by striking names, it seems to me that the board would meet to approve nominees, then bring those names to the membership at a later special meeting. 

I don't see where anyone has stated that the board is analogous to the chair, but in the situation you've described, I think either choice could be used. If the membership strikes one or more names, the chair should be able to offer other nominees at that time, or the membership could approve only the names they did not strike as members of the committee, with additional nominees to be proposed at a subsequent meeting.

But I'm still somewhat confused as to your procedure. In the third post you said that the leadership nominates committee members, who then must be approved by the general membership. However, subsequently you stated that the bylaws give the board the power to appoint committees for this purpose. These two statements seem to be in conflict since, if the board is given the power to appoint these committees, why should the membership have to approve those appointments?  Can you clarify this?

9 minutes ago, Bruce Lages said:

I don't see where anyone has stated that the board is analogous to the chair, but in the situation you've described, I think either choice could be used. If the membership strikes one or more names, the chair should be able to offer other nominees at that time, or the membership could approve only the names they did not strike as members of the committee, with additional nominees to be proposed at a subsequent meeting.

Josh made the analogy and I agreed with his assessment.   Apparently, here, the board nominates and the membership confirms.  This is a fairly close analogy to Nominations by the Chair, p. 494 l. 24, which allows the membership to veto names, but not add or replace any.

If this is the case, then i'd say the board would have to meet to make additional nominations to replace any that are vetoed.  Any names that are approved would stand.

51 minutes ago, Guest Walt Gite said:

If nominations by the chair is the analogy/method, and one name or more is struck by the general membership, would the chair have to make nominations on the spot, or could the motion be passed without those names eliminated?

The motion could be passed with those names eliminated, or if the assembly prefers, it could postpone the motion or refer the motion back to the board to permit it to add additional names.

The chair cannot make nominations on the spot, because your bylaws say that the board makes these appointments, not the chair alone.

I ask because the board discussed the nominees, and the board is analogous to the chair, as you’ve said.

I said that the procedure for handling this motion is analogous to the procedure of nominations by the chair. I’m not sure that’s quite the same thing as saying the board is analogous to the chair.

To fill the vacancies left by striking names, it seems to me that the board would meet to approve nominees, then bring those names to the membership at a later special meeting. 

I agree.

28 minutes ago, Bruce Lages said:

If the membership strikes one or more names, the chair should be able to offer other nominees at that time, or the membership could approve only the names they did not strike as members of the committee, with additional nominees to be proposed at a subsequent meeting.

If the bylaws grant the board the power to make these appointments (subject to approval by the membership), the chair cannot offer other nominees at that time. The chair is not the board.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.