The Official RONR Q & A Forums

REplacement members for voting

Guest BIll Clyde

I expect this has already been posted, but I can't find it. 

If a member can't make it to a meeting can someone else be appointed--by the member or someone else--to attend the meeting and vote in the absent member's place?

In order to vote, a provision authorizing it would have to be in the bylaws.  However, I believe a special rule of order could probably permit non-members to attend meetings and even to speak in debate under whatever circumstances the rule provides. 

RONR provides that by majority vote guests can be allowed to attend and to speak at meetings and that the rules can be suspended to permit a guest to participate in debate.  So, it seems to me the same thing could be accomplished by a special rule of order, though I don't know that i would recommend it.  :)

On 5/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, Guest BIll Clyde said:

I expect this has already been posted, but I can't find it. 

If a member can't make it to a meeting can someone else be appointed--by the member or someone else--to attend the meeting and vote in the absent member's place?

No, such a practice would be prohibited under the rules in RONR, unless there are rules in your bylaws that permit it.  RONR specifically defines the right to vote as individual and non-transferrable.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.