The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Filling vacancies

Guest Dstipanovich

Guest Dstipanovich

We have 5 board members and just had 1 unexpected resignation. We just had our annual meeting and did not meet quorum. The board has agreeded on two candidates to fill the vacancy. 

Should the member who is resigning give their vote on the new candidate?

What percentage of board members are needed between the two candidates? Majority or 100%?

Of the four board members that are left, 3 voted for one candidate and the forth member voted for the opposing candidate. Leaving a magority vote.

It was said that there needed to be 100% vote from the board on one particular canadate? 

Thanks

First, is this supposed to be happening at a Board meeting or at a meeting of the General Membership?  Do the bylaws authorize the Board to fill their own vacancies?

3 minutes ago, Guest Dstipanovich said:

Should the member who is resigning give their vote on the new candidate?

Had the resignation already been accepted?  Also, do the bylaws specify there can only be 5 Board members?

What percentage of board members are needed between the two candidates? Majority or 100%?

Majority unless the bylaws say otherwise.

It was said that there needed to be 100% vote from the board on one particular canadate? 

RONR doesn't support that assertion.

Guest Dstipanovich

I just want to thank you for your timely response. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. 

This was at our annual owners meeting and yes the board is allowed to appoint members for vacancies.

It states in the bylaws there is to be at least 3 board members and not to exceed 15.

I thought it was a majority vote also. But it was stated to me that it has to be 100% vote due to the Michigan Mon-profit laws. 

Im not really sure what that means. 

Thanks again

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.