The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Postponing beyond a quarter via adjourned meeting?

paulmcclintock

Per bylaws, regular meetings are quarterly in months 3, 6, 9, 12, but bylaws allow cancelling meetings.  In March, they cancel the June meeting, and a main motion MM is pending.  MM can't be postponed to the next regular meeting (September) because it is more than a quarterly time interval.

But is seems to me that in March you could schedule an adjourned meeting for August to continue the current session, and postpone a main motion to the August meeting, and if the August meeting lacks a quorum and adjourns, then at the September meeting the motion would automatically come up as unfinished business (a general order not reached at the August meeting).  Postponing in March to the August adjourned meeting (5 months later) because it is in the same session.  And the standard order of business applies because they usually have regular meetings quarterly.

Is this correct?

8 hours ago, paulmcclintock said:

Per bylaws, regular meetings are quarterly in months 3, 6, 9, 12, but bylaws allow cancelling meetings.  In March, they cancel the June meeting, and a main motion MM is pending.  MM can't be postponed to the next regular meeting (September) because it is more than a quarterly time interval.

But is seems to me that in March you could schedule an adjourned meeting for August to continue the current session, and postpone a main motion to the August meeting, and if the August meeting lacks a quorum and adjourns, then at the September meeting the motion would automatically come up as unfinished business (a general order not reached at the August meeting).  Postponing in March to the August adjourned meeting (5 months later) because it is in the same session.  And the standard order of business applies because they usually have regular meetings quarterly.

Is this correct?

Yes, I think all of this is correct.

8 hours ago, paulmcclintock said:

Is this correct?

I think this is essentially correct as well, but I do not know why it is said that "the standard order of business applies because they usually have regular meetings quarterly." The adjourned meeting is a continuance of the session of the preceding meeting, and so its order of business is to continue with the order of business which was controlling the preceding meeting.

2 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

...but I do not know why it is said that "the standard order of business applies because they usually have regular meetings quarterly." The adjourned meeting is a continuance of the session of the preceding meeting, and so its order of business is to continue with the order of business which was controlling the preceding meeting.

I was trying to justify the use of the standard order of business for the 2nd session, because I originally planned a different scenario, with semi-annual meetings, and it remained as a useless, confusing thought in the scenario as posted.  Sorry to be confusing!

Thanks for all the feedback.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.