The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rules Committee Report

Guest Sylvia

The Rules Committee of an organization was given the duty of reviewing how volunteers were to be used and addressed in the organization and to come up with a policy and procedure for doing so. The Rules Committee met twice and using by law documentation of the organization and its oversight by the State organization and a manual distributed by the State organization to the Board members came up with a policy and procedure. The Rules Committee Chair gave the report to the body and it was approved by at 2/3 majority of the membership. The Rules Committee now wants the policy and procedure defined in the report added to the by laws as policy and procedure. A couple of people have questioned whether or not approval of the report approves what it contains? Does approval of the report approve its content as policy and procedure defined in the report?

It seems to me it is ultimately up to your organization to determine for itself whether "approving" the report amounted to adoption of the rules proposed by it.  My own guess, which really doesn't count since I'm not a member and wasn't there, is that the members thought they were indeed adopting the proposals. Is it customary for your members to vote to "approve" reports regardless of whether they contain recommendations?   If so, you should stop that practice.  It leads to exactly the problem you are facing now.  Reports should not be "approved".  They are given, either verbally or in writing or a combination of the two, and that is that.  No "approval" is necessary or even proper unless it is desired to actually adopt what is in the report.

However, adding the proposed rules to the bylaws should be a completely different matter.  Adding rules to the bylaws can be done only by following the procedure spelled out in your bylaws for their amendment.  I doubt that what was done satisfies those requirements.

11 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

However, adding the proposed rules to the bylaws should be a completely different matter.  Adding rules to the bylaws can be done only by following the procedure spelled out in your bylaws for their amendment.  I doubt that what was done satisfies those requirements.

Well, I think it depends on what "adding" means. It could just mean that they want to distribute them together, as a printed package.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.