The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda

Guest Lisa

3 minutes ago, Guest Lisa said:

During an agenda setting meeting, the majority voted that a certain subject couldn't be on the agenda for the regular meeting the following week.  Is it possible to bring the item up for a vote anyway under "New Business" at the end of the regular meeting? 

So far as RONR is concerned, yes.

It’s somewhat unusual to set an agenda a week in advance, however, so I would be sure to check whether the assembly’s rules or applicable law provide otherwise on this subject.

So far as RONR is concerned, an assembly which meets weekly would generally not have an agenda and would follow the standard order of business, but if it did have an agenda, it would set the agenda at the meeting itself.

Edited by Josh Martin

Agreeing with all the above, and limiting my answer to RONR, one session cannot bind another. If one session does purport to adopt an agenda for the next, the next can amend it freely. I'm not entirely sure what the vote threshold would be. Arguably, it should be the same as ASPA. On the other hand, I can see an argument that one session simply cannot adopt an agenda for another, so there's nothing to amend, just the business of adopting one (if you must or choose to). On a third hand, I can see an argument that the prior session can do so, but the rules in RONR, together with the act of doing so, equate to something like notice that it may be amended, so it can be amended by a majority vote.

2 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Agreeing with all the above, and limiting my answer to RONR, one session cannot bind another. If one session does purport to adopt an agenda for the next, the next can amend it freely. I'm not entirely sure what the vote threshold would be. Arguably, it should be the same as ASPA. On the other hand, I can see an argument that one session simply cannot adopt an agenda for another, so there's nothing to amend, just the business of adopting one (if you must or choose to). On a third hand, I can see an argument that the prior session can do so, but the rules in RONR, together with the act of doing so, equate to something like notice that it may be amended, so it can be amended by a majority vote.

In my opinion, unless the assembly’s rules or applicable law provide otherwise, an agenda adopted at a previous session is not binding, and the agenda must be adopted again at the session it applies to in order to be binding.

”Unless a precirculated agenda is formally adopted at the session to which it applies, it is not binding as to detail or order of consideration, other than as it lists preexisting orders of the day (pp. 364ff.) or conforms to the standard order of business (pp. 25–26, 353ff.) or an order of business prescribed by the rules of the organization (pp. 16, 25).” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 372, emphasis added)

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.