The Official RONR Q & A Forums

privacy of board members

Guest P.J.

I am a current member of a board for a non profit.  Recently one of the employees of this non profit gave out email addresses to a non board member(although she once was on the board) in order for this person to ask for help with fundraising, sponsorships, etc for an event that she is hosting.  This person contacted me through my private email address which I never gave permission for her to have.  Is this a violation of my privacy and can this be done?  thank you.

11 minutes ago, Guest P.J. said:

I am a current member of a board for a non profit.  Recently one of the employees of this non profit gave out email addresses to a non board member(although she once was on the board) in order for this person to ask for help with fundraising, sponsorships, etc for an event that she is hosting.  This person contacted me through my private email address which I never gave permission for her to have.  Is this a violation of my privacy and can this be done?  thank you.

The board may adopt its own rules on this subject if it wishes.

3 hours ago, Guest P.J. said:

This person contacted me through my private email address which I never gave permission for her to have.  Is this a violation of my privacy and can this be done?  thank you.

Agreeing with the two other responses, I also don't see how emailing someone, aside from a case where there's a restraining order, or repeated requests not to do so, can be an invasion of privacy.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.