The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Two person meeting. Can we have non-voting chair

chassv

RONR has no special rules for a two person board or association, but it does have what it calls the "Small Board Rules" where the chair participates pretty much just like the other members... and votes along with the other members.  However, if there are only two of you, I would think you would  be able to sit down and work things out and make decisions just like any other two or three or four people would  do.  I don't think formal rules should normally be necessary.

FWIW, Rich DeVos, one of the founders of Amway who just died, and Jay VanAndel, his partner and co-founder, used to take turns serving as president and as chairman of the board..  I don't know this for a fact, but I have a hunch the practice started when the "board" probably just consisted of the two of them, or maybe them and their wives.  When  DeVos died last  week, he was a very rich man.

Edited by Richard Brown

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
2 hours ago, chassv said:

I'm not sure why people think rules are needed less for two persons. It's quite common: two persons who do not get along but have to do business.

In such dire situations, there are usually two chairmen and they are called "lawyers." 😉

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.