The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Assembly ordering information added to the minutes

Chris Harrison

If the assembly orders information added to the minutes which are not normally included (for example the answer to a question that the members want memorialized) should a notation be included specifying the ordering?  If when the minutes are up for approval a member wants the ordered information removed can that be done by majority vote or would a 2/3 vote or MEM be required (I'm assuming previous notice wasn't given)?

1. It would appear in the minutes of the meeting where the ordering took place. So far as the minutes to which it was ordered, that's what they are now, and no notation is required. Before the ordering and approval happened, they were just notes. For as long as they've been minutes, the item has (I assume) been included.

2. I'm not really sure I understand this part of the question. To my understanding, there are draft minutes (i.e. Secretary's notes) which include certain information. When they are considered for approval, i.e. before they've been approved, a member moves to strike out that information. That's a motion to amend, and it requires a majority vote. If the minutes have been approved, it would require a motion to amend something previously adopted.

I was using the term "minutes" for both before and after its approval.  I'll try to be more precise in the future.

1) My point was if there is no notation in the draft minutes then when they are for approval a member might point out that this information shouldn't be in there.  If there is a notation then that would indicate that the Secretary didn't just include it because he or she wanted to but was ordered to do so.

2) If the assembly had ordered this information put in the draft minutes then it would seem to me that in order to strike it before approval the assembly would have to amend something they had previously decided (Adopted) and thus the higher voting threshold would apply.

35 minutes ago, Chris Harrison said:

1) My point was if there is no notation in the draft minutes then when they are for approval a member might point out that this information shouldn't be in there.  If there is a notation then that would indicate that the Secretary didn't just include it because he or she wanted to but was ordered to do so.

I do not think there should be a notation. I don't think it matters why it's there, and in fact, such a notation strikes me as akin to the secretary inserting editorial remarks. If they're there, they're there.

36 minutes ago, Chris Harrison said:

2) If the assembly had ordered this information put in the draft minutes then it would seem to me that in order to strike it before approval the assembly would have to amend something they had previously decided (Adopted) and thus the higher voting threshold would apply.

I suppose it would depend on the exact language of the motion, but what we've been told so far is that the assembly ordered that they be in the draft minutes, and that's been, I think, fully executed. If anything, I could see requiring a suspension of the rules rather than aspa.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.