The Official RONR Q & A Forums

nonmembers attending executive board meetings

Guest vjc

A club member who is a non-member of the executive board comes to the executive board meeting without the invitation of the executive board chair.  This is becoming a habitual practice of the nonmember. The nonmember has asked to comment and participate in discussion during the executive board meeting.  The presence of this nonmember is creating an annoyance with other board members and the executive board members feel that informal discussion is limited with the nonmember in attendance.  Does the chair have a right to ask the nonmember to excuse herself when the nonmember arrives at the meeting?  We do not have bylaws that address nonmembers attending the executive board meeting without an invitation by the chair. How should the chair handle this issue?

Tell hm/her to leave.  (Politely, of course!)  Non-members (of the board) have no right to attend board meetings.

If a majority of board members wish him/her to stay, that is fine too.  An invitation by the chair only is not enough to let him/her in or to stay; the concurrence (perhaps by not actually objecting) of a majority of board members is a requirement.

1 hour ago, Guest vjc said:

A club member who is a non-member of the executive board comes to the executive board meeting without the invitation of the executive board chair.  This is becoming a habitual practice of the nonmember. The nonmember has asked to comment and participate in discussion during the executive board meeting.  The presence of this nonmember is creating an annoyance with other board members and the executive board members feel that informal discussion is limited with the nonmember in attendance.  Does the chair have a right to ask the nonmember to excuse herself when the nonmember arrives at the meeting?  We do not have bylaws that address nonmembers attending the executive board meeting without an invitation by the chair. How should the chair handle this issue?

The chair may order the nonmember to be removed on his own if he is disruptive (subject to appeal) or if, by rule or custom, the board’s meetings are open only to members of the board. Otherwise, the board may order the nonmember to be removed, by majority vote.

It should also be noted that, unless your rules otherwise, the situation would be the same even if this person had an invitation from the chair.

While I agree with Dr. Stackpole's response, I have a question for gust Vic:  does this organization have a custom of allowing non-board members to sit in on board meetings? If so, that custom / policy should probably be continued until formally changed by the adoption of a rule. I have found that it is quite common for associations to have an Unwritten custom of allowing Association members to attend board meetings. 

Regardless of whether the organization has a custom regarding guests attending and/or speaking at board meetings, it might be advisable to adopt a written policy regarding guests attending board meetings.

Guest Vic should also keep in mind that the membership itself can probably adopt a Special Rule of Order or even amend the bylaws to establish a policy of whether and under what conditions guests may attend and speak at board meetings. The membership itself most likely has the ultimate say in this situation.

1 minute ago, Richard Brown said:

While I agree with Dr. Stackpole's response, I have a question for gust Vic:  does this organization have a custom of allowing non-board members to sit in on board meetings? If so, that custom / policy should probably be continued until formally changed by the adoption of a rule. I have found that it is quite common for associations to have an Unwritten custom of allowing Association members to attend board meetings. 

I also wonder if the organization has some rule about the chair inviting people.

5 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

I also wonder if the organization has some rule about the chair inviting people.

I agree, although I think it would more likely be a custom rather than a rule. I have found that boards frequently defer to the chair on issues such as this.

Edited to add: I do agree with the others, though, that no rule in RONR gives the chair such Authority

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.