The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions

Guest Guest

Must the member who moves the motion vote in favor of that action?  I want to move that an action be identified to take place, but not be required to vote in-favor of that action. 

For example, I would like to move that we all wear pink hats, but I am not in favor of wearing pink hats. If the motion gets on the table and it receives a second, then are those two members required to vote in-favor of that motion?

Really need a quick response on how to do this.

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Must the member who moves the motion vote in favor of that action?  I want to move that an action be identified to take place, but not be required to vote in-favor of that action. 

For example, I would like to move that we all wear pink hats, but I am not in favor of wearing pink hats. If the motion gets on the table and it receives a second, then are those two members required to vote in-favor of that motion?

Really need a quick response on how to do this.

Your best course of action is not to make the motion.

And I'm not at all sure that I agree with my friend Dr. Stackpole that it is proper to make a motion and then, while speaking in debate on it, move its indefinite postponement.

12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

The maker of a motion is not required to vote in favor of the motion, but this is generally relevant because the motion may be amended, or that the motion maker may change his mind. It is generally expected that the motion maker is in favor of the motion at the time he makes it. There is generally no point in making a motion that you do not support.

Could you explain exactly why you wish to make a motion that you do not intend to vote in favor of? There may be a better way to accomplish your objective.

12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

No, but again, I question the wisdom in doing this.

Edited by Josh Martin

A member may second a motion (even if using the word "support" as indicated above) because he would like to see the assembly go on record as rejecting the proposal, if he believes a vote on the motion would have such a result.

RONR, 11th edition, page 36.

The possibility exists that the OP wishes to have his organization go on record as opposing pink hats. Nothing complicated.

6 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

The possibility exists that the OP wishes to have his organization go on record as opposing pink hats. Nothing complicated.

I'm not sure this provision technically applies, since the OP is about moving, not seconding, but, regardless, this bothers me. I can see it for seconding - the motion is already being made, after all - but if I wish to put my organization on the record as opposing pink hats, I think I should move something to that effect. Here's why: in general, we don't record vote counts. A motion to support pink hats can fail on a tie, and be indistinguishable in the minutes from one that failed by a large margin. But in the former case, trying to express opposition to pink hats directly would also fail. 

14 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

And I'm not at all sure that I agree with my friend Dr. Stackpole that it is proper to make a motion and then, while speaking in debate on it, move its indefinite postponement.

Well, I base that proposal as an extension the explicit statement on p. 393 that if the mover (no longer) likes the motion he made, he can request permission to withdraw it.   Post Indef (if adopted) and withdraw (if permitted) both have the same effect of removing the motion from further consideration by the assembly by a majority decision.

9 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

RONR, 11th edition, page 36.

Except that defeating a motion supporting pink hats is not the same as going on record as opposing them.

7 hours ago, jstackpo said:

Well, I base that proposal as an extension the explicit statement on p. 393 that if the mover (no longer) likes the motion he made, he can request permission to withdraw it.   Post Indef (if adopted) and withdraw (if permitted) both have the same effect of removing the motion from further consideration by the assembly by a majority decision.

Indefinite postponement of a motion is effectively a rejection of it, just the same as if it had been voted on and rejected. Withdrawal of a motion has no such effect.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.