The Official RONR Q & A Forums

reversing decision made by a BoD

Guest Brett D

I am on a volunteer Board of Directors and we hastily voted on something that is detrimental to our club.  

As the president of this organization I am trying to find the best way to resolve this issue.  

Do we recind the vote?

Make a new motion re-establishing the position we eliminated?

or veto? 

Nothing in our bylaws about this that I can find. 

Arrange for someone -- a board member -- to move to rescind the previously adopted "bad" motion next board meeting.  See p. 305 for important voting details.

However...  you mention that the "bad" motion eliminated a position.  If the position was originall established in the bylaws, and you amended them, then you will need a new motion -- bylaw amendment -- to restore he position, if that is your intent.

2 minutes ago, Guest Brett D said:

this is only the 7 member BoD voting as directors, does that change anything?

No, except perhaps a misconception. The vote threshold is a 2/3 vote, a majority vote with notice, OR (any one of these is sufficient), on a 7 person board, 4 people voting to rescind. That is, "entire membership" means of he board, since the board is the body making the decision. A 2/3 vote could be attained without reaching 4 votes, such as by 2 voting yes, 1 voting no, and everyone else present abstaining. 

Just now, jstackpo said:

If the general membership adopted "baddie" the gen-mem will have to be asked to rescind it, unless the bylaws give the Board authority to act for the association between meetings -- this would be in the bylaws.

Agreeing with Dr. Stackpole, note that my prior answers assumed the Board adopted the motion you wish to rescind.

1 hour ago, Joshua Katz said:

No, except perhaps a misconception. The vote threshold is a 2/3 vote, a majority vote with notice, OR (any one of these is sufficient), on a 7 person board, 4 people voting to rescind. That is, "entire membership" means of he board, since the board is the body making the decision. A 2/3 vote could be attained without reaching 4 votes, such as by 2 voting yes, 1 voting no, and everyone else present abstaining. 

On the other hand, although a 4-3 vote would be less than 2/3, it is a majority of the entire (board) membership, and the motion to Rescind would pass, even without previous notice..

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.