The Official RONR Q & A Forums

when the Secretary is Absent

Guest S. A.

1 hour ago, Guest S. A. said:

Is it valid if the Secretary is sick and unable to come to a meeting, to have the the President record the meeting on a recorder, and then the Secretary can write the minutes using the audio recording and presidents notes? 

Yes. RONR provides that when the secretary is absent, a secretary Pro Tem should be selected, but failure to do that is not critical. The minutes may be prepared and approved based upon whatever information is available.

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

Yes. RONR provides that when the secretary is absent, a secretary Pro Tem should be selected, but failure to do that is not critical. The minutes may be prepared and approved based upon whatever information is available.

It is interesting to note, however, that RONR tells us that a secretary (or clerk) is one of the two minimum essential officers for the conduct of business in any deliberative assembly (RONR, 11th ed., p. 22, ll. 1-5; p. 447, ll. 3-5), and it has done so ever since 1970.

I suspect that deliberate failure to have someone act as secretary during a meeting is, at best, a bad idea.

5 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

True, but failure to do that is still failure.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:08 AM, Richard Brown said:

Do you know where I can find that information PRINTED in RONR?

A Pro - Tem Secretary WAS selected. She took awful notes, did not know what she was doing. We kept asking her every month at the meeting if the minutes were done, NOPE. I offered to help her, NOPE. She said they were fine. The BOARD did not approve them. so FINALLy I took all the notes from the president and her sorry excuse for minutes, along with a recording from half the meeting, because the recorders battery died. so I did the minutes, they ere approved , Now some past president, who doesn't like me, because I served her with a restraining order, questions EVERYTHING I do. But I honestly believe that the minutes are valid. They were approved .Just because I wasn't physically there. I have a recording for almost the whole meeting.

5 hours ago, Guest SLA said:

Do you know where I can find that information PRINTED in RONR?

A Pro - Tem Secretary WAS selected. She took awful notes, did not know what she was doing. We kept asking her every month at the meeting if the minutes were done, NOPE. I offered to help her, NOPE. She said they were fine. The BOARD did not approve them. so FINALLy I took all the notes from the president and her sorry excuse for minutes, along with a recording from half the meeting, because the recorders battery died. so I did the minutes, they ere approved , Now some past president, who doesn't like me, because I served her with a restraining order, questions EVERYTHING I do. But I honestly believe that the minutes are valid. They were approved .Just because I wasn't physically there. I have a recording for almost the whole meeting.

If, as you say, these minutes have been approved, they now constitute the official record of the assembly's proceedings, and the only way to make any change in them (if one is necessary in order to correct any error) is by the adoption of a motion to amend them (see Sec. 35 in RONR for details). The manner in which they were prepared prior to their approval is completely irrelevant. 

On 12/10/2018 at 9:15 AM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

It is interesting to note, however, that RONR tells us that a secretary (or clerk) is one of the two minimum essential officers for the conduct of business in any deliberative assembly (RONR, 11th ed., p. 22, ll. 1-5; p. 447, ll. 3-5), and it has done so ever since 1970.

I suspect that deliberate failure to have someone act as secretary during a meeting is, at best, a bad idea.

I agree, but I recall there was a debate a while back about whether those two officers could be one person with two hats.  I think not, but some folks cited the language saying that, absent a rule to the contrary, one person may hold two offices (presumably that includes pro-tempore offices).  I believe that the "minimum essential" language should be viewed as a rule to the contrary.

2 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

I agree, but I recall there was a debate a while back about whether those two officers could be one person with two hats.  I think not, but some folks cited the language saying that, absent a rule to the contrary, one person may hold two offices (presumably that includes pro-tempore offices).  I believe that the "minimum essential" language should be viewed as a rule to the contrary.

I don’t believe the words “minimum essential” change the fact that one person may hold multiple offices.

As for the debate you recall, see this thread.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.