The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Member

Guest Chang

I have two questions.  Our non-profit organization by-law stated that the president is the ex-officio of all committees.  During a regular meeting of a committee, the ex-officio was not present; do the meeting and business still valid?  Out bylaw does not state a specific place where a regular meeting will be held.  Can we hold a meeting at a restaurant, coffee place, fast food, etc.?  

The absence of particular members, whether ex-officio or "regular" (they are all members, after all) makes no difference in the validity of business in the meeting, unless the attendance falls below the quorum requirement.

They can meet wherever they (a majority presumably) wish.   Bon appetit! 

So long, of course, as the coffee or fast food place will allow the committee to occupy a table for the length of the meeting. But I think this stands in need of some explanation:

11 minutes ago, Guest Chang said:

Our non-profit organization by-law stated that the president is the ex-officio of all committees. 

My guess is what is meant is that the president is an ex-officio member of all committees. Using the word "the" might be the source of confusion here, as it makes it sound like the president occupies some special position within the committee. All being an ex-officio member means is that a person is a member by virtue of an office held; they have no other special powers within the committee. There is, though, one exception:

6 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

unless the attendance falls below the quorum requirement.

Of course, I agree that the meeting is not valid if there is no quorum present, but I'd add that the absence of the president, in these circumstances, cannot impact quorum since a president who is ex-officio a member of all committees does not count for quorum purposes in those committees.

So, for the first question, this is what I understand.  Whether the ex-officio present or not as long as we have quorum the meeting and discussion of businesses are good to go.  For the second question; as long as everyone agree to the place (no matter where) it is okay to meet.  But what about if we going to discuss confidential items, is that still okay too, right?

Thank you for all your help

30 minutes ago, Guest Chang said:

For the second question; as long as everyone agree to the place (no matter where) it is okay to meet.  But what about if we going to discuss confidential items, is that still okay too, right?

Thank you for all your help

Just to be clear, it is not everyone (of the committee members) who has to agree. As Dr. Stackpole pointed out above, it is a majority of the committee members - unless you have a specific rule requiring a different threshold for deciding motions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.