The Official RONR Q & A Forums

scope of a proposal

Guest Helen

42 minutes ago, Guest Helen said:

There is a bylaw proposal to change the quorum from a specific number to a percentage of members present.  Once the proposal is noticed, is it permissible/within scope for the body to vote to change the percentage before voting on the proposal at the meeting?

I think the answer depends on exactly what the effect of the proposed change is from a fixed number to a percentage based on the current membership.  If the result of the change is to keep the actual number of members necessary for a quorum the same based on the current membership, then I do not believe a change to a larger or smaller percentage would be in order.  However, if the change from a fixed number to a percentage results in a larger or smaller number of members than currently required, then an amendment anywhere between the current fixed number and the number that the proposed percentage would result in would be within the scope of notice and would be in order.

For example:  Assume you currently have 100 members and your quorum is 25.  If the proposed change is from a fixed number of 25 to 25 percent of the members, then the resulting number is the same and no floor amendment to change the percentage would be in order.  But,  if the proposal is to change the quorum requirement from 25 members to 30 percent, then a floor amendment anywhere between 25 percent and 30 percent would be within the scope of notice and would be in order.  A floor amendment to change the percentage below 25 percent or above 30 percent would exceed the notice and would not  be in order.

2 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

Registered Parliamentarian test given by NAP, but around here it's just an inside joke.

I was once certified in the American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS). It involved study in 7 or 8 different fields of materials management with course offerings either through after hours work sessions and/or formal courses at local colleges for which one could earn credits towards a degree.

How involved is it to become a Registered Parliamentarian? Not that I'm so inclined based on the complexity of some of the issues I'm seeing on this forum, but just a point of curiosity.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, Newbie said:

I was once certified in the American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS). It involved study in 7 or 8 different fields of materials management with course offerings either through after hours work sessions and/or formal courses at local colleges for which one could earn credits towards a degree.

How involved is it to become a Registered Parliamentarian? Not that I'm so inclined based on the complexity of some of the issues I'm seeing on this forum, but just a point of curiosity.

See here for more information.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.