The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"through the chair"

Guest paul

How can I get the members of our Board and the Staff to stop saying "through you mr/madam chair" every time they answer a question or introduce a topic.

I know it is redundant, time waster and probably not professional.  As per RONR everything moves through the chair but surely it is not necessary to repeat it.Or saying it out load.

Paul.

2 hours ago, Guest paul said:

How can I get the members of our Board and the Staff to stop saying "through you mr/madam chair" every time they answer a question or introduce a topic.

I know it is redundant, time waster and probably not professional.  As per RONR everything moves through the chair but surely it is not necessary to repeat it.Or saying it out load.

Paul.

Agreeing with Mr. Katz, I think I would look for bigger fish to fry.  Or catch.  Or whatever the saying is. However, it might well get on my neves, too, after a while.  I think the best way to deal with it is an informal chat with the chair and try to get the chair to tell the members that it isn't really necessary. It's certainly not required by RONR.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:31 PM, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

Conduct a parliamentary procedure training session with the members outside of a meeting. It would be a good time to clear up other misconceptions as well.

I would love to be able to do that with our board, although apathy might be overwhelming.

As a curiosity, how long would a typical training session go, and most importantly, how many $$$?

12 hours ago, Newbie said:

I would love to be able to do that with our board, although apathy might be overwhelming.

As a curiosity, how long would a typical training session go, and most importantly, how many $$$?

That is beyond the scope of this forum. If you are interested, the National Association of Parliamentarians and American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referrals.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, Guest paul said:

Paul.

True, but it's common and appropriate to begin a response to a question, by saying something along the lines of "Mr. Chairman, to answer the member's question...."

I agree that your "custom" sounds a bit funky, since there's no need to announce that you are speaking to the chair if you simply speak to the chair.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.