The Official RONR Q & A Forums

multiple sessions scheduled concurrently

Guest Artie

20 hours ago, Guest Artie said:

Is it proper for a governmental legislative body to schedule it's charter-required Council meeting concurrently with its Public Hearing based on fact that the hearing is being held on resolutions also included on the agenda of the charter-required session?

I have seen it done that way, but there's no rule in RONR on the subject. 

21 hours ago, Guest Artie said:

Is it proper for a governmental legislative body to schedule it's charter-required Council meeting concurrently with its Public Hearing based on fact that the hearing is being held on resolutions also included on the agenda of the charter-required session?

I'm not sure just what your situation is or exactly what you are asking, but knowing what little I do know I don't see a problem with it.  In fact, I believe it is a rather common custom.  Why have meetings when it can all be done in one meeting?   My own city council usually has agenda items that require a public hearing and items that do not require a hearing.  But they take up both types of matters at the same meeting.  They just conduct a public hearing on those items which require one.

I think that in order for us to give you any better advice you will need to provide us with more details.

btw, I agree with Mr. Katz and Mr. Novosielski that there is no rule on the subject in RONR.  This almost certainly a matter of interpreting your own governing rules and law.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

I don't think any further details are necessary or helpful. We will eventually come back to Mr. Katz's answer

On 2/15/2019 at 8:53 PM, Joshua Katz said:

RONR has nothing to say on this. You'll need to consult your own rules and relevant laws, and potentially an attorney.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.