The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending draft minutes

Guest Ray Dixon

Situation:  Draft minutes, not yet approved as written.  Reflect an Executive Session was "entered" by the Board, then goes on to describe an action taken and voted upon in that session.  The action was to form an ad hoc committee that should study a matter brought to the Board via letter from a constituent. Vote on the motion to form an ad hoc committee for study and report was approved 3 Yes, 2 No.  Study results have not been reported to the Board, Minutes of the Meeting have not been approved as written.

Rescind and expunge from the draft minutes?  Amend the draft minutes to remove the Executive Session because it was Out of Order and should not have taken place?  Do not approve the minutes as written, expunge the complete record of the executive session from the minutes?  Other???

The minutes should reflect that the board entered executive session, that it left executive session, and what happened after. They should not reflect what happened during executive session; that should be in separate minutes, to be approved in executive session. 

There's no need to rescind or expunge anything, particularly since the minutes have not been approved. Either the secretary can fix them (preferable, since it sort of defeats the point of executive session to discuss "we need to remove this because it happened in executive session" at a meeting) or they can be amended while pending. 

Nothing you've said indicates that executive session was out of order, but if it was, that's no reason not to put it in the minutes. Minutes are a record of what was done, not what should have been done. 

Guest Ray, in the future please ask a new question by starting a new topic, even if it seems that your question fits with an existing topic. Mr. Gerber explains how to start a new topic in the first pinned post in the forum. It says, "IMPORTANT, READ THIS FIRST" That's the custom and preferred procedure in this forum. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited last sentence

Ray 

40 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:
5 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Guest Ray, in the future please ask a new question by starting a new topic, even if it seems that your question fits with an existing topic. Mr. Gerber explains how to start a new topic in the first pinned post in the forum. That's the custom and preferred procedure in this forum. 

Good to know.  Thank you.  ROGER WILCO

10 hours ago, Guest Ray Dixon said:

ROGER WILCO

In Signal Corps training, saying that would win you the "Sky King" award, which consisted of an assignment to clean the latrine.  The logic is that the prosign ROGER means I have received and understood you, while WILCO means I have received and understood your instructions and will comply.  Thus, ROGER WILCO is redundant, a cardinal sin in radio procedure.

But rather than appear overly pedantic, I'd like to welcome you to the forum and hope you find it useful and informative (in stark contrast to my comment above.)   :)

46 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

In Signal Corps training, saying that would win you the "Sky King" award, which consisted of an assignment to clean the latrine.  The logic is that the prosign ROGER means I have received and understood you, while WILCO means I have received and understood your instructions and will comply.  Thus, ROGER WILCO is redundant, a cardinal sin in radio procedure.

Yeah, and I'd grant the same award to those who say "over and out", which I'm afraid we hear rather frequently. 

39 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Yeah, and I'd grant the same award to those who say "over and out", which I'm afraid we hear rather frequently. 

Indeed, that would also win, as the two are exact opposites. The award was named after the Sky King TV show, wherein niece Penny would use wretched procedure on the radio to Uncle Schuyler's plane. E.g. "ROGER WILCO, OVER and OUT, Uncle Sky!"

That one would have earned her three awards simultaneously: one for the ROGER WILCO, as noted, but also one for the OVER and OUT, plus one for saying anything whatsoever following either.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.