The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections of officers

Guest DaVinci

Query; I am vice-president of an association. Our President resigned for reasons that I will not reveal here as they are now immaterial to situation. I am now acting President until our Board's election committee approves and submits suggested nominees for consideration for the position in September for a vote by the general membership in November. If the board does not approve or support ANY nominee, nor the general membership vote for a nominee from the floor, do I remain as Vice-President acting President until the following September and November election meeting? Our by-laws limit my term as Vice-President to one calendar year plus one successive calendar year. I am currently mid term 1st year.

Normally the vice president automatically BECOMES president the instant the office becomes vacant. It is instantaneous and automatic. No other steps are necessary. It seems that your bylaws may provide differently. Exactly what do your bylaws say about a vacancy in the office of president?

26 minutes ago, Guest DaVinci said:

Query; I am vice-president of an association. Our President resigned for reasons that I will not reveal here as they are now immaterial to situation. I am now acting President until our Board's election committee approves and submits suggested nominees for consideration for the position in September for a vote by the general membership in November. If the board does not approve or support ANY nominee, nor the general membership vote for a nominee from the floor, do I remain as Vice-President acting President until the following September and November election meeting? Our by-laws limit my term as Vice-President to one calendar year plus one successive calendar year. I am currently mid term 1st year.

Unless your bylaws expressly say otherwise, you are now the president for the remainder of resigned president's term (p. 458, ll.7-13).  Congratulations. 

Edited by J. J.

12 hours ago, Guest DaVinci said:

What do the bylaws say about filling vacancies in the office of president in particular? General vacancy-filling rules do not apply in this situation. So, unless the bylaws specifically set out the procedure you've described, that's not how it would work..

If the rules in RONR apply, the VP becomes president the instant the office of president becomes vacant, which creates a vacancy in the office of vice president, and it is that vacancy that gets filled in the normal way.  The new president serves out the unexpired remainder of the presidential term.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.