The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Not on prevailing side. When can I ask for another vote?

Guest Jason

I voted for a motion that was defeated so I’m not on the prevailing side. When am I allowed to bring the same vote up again for another vote?

one member says the topic can not be voted on again unless brought up for reconsideration from a member on the prevailing side. So all of us that voted for the failed motion can never bring this up again ?  Ever?  Seems unreasonable.  The vote only failed in our favor by 3%. 

A defeated motion can be brought up again ('renewed' in RONR language) at the next session, which for most organizations is the next meeting. And at every subsequent meeting if it continues to be voted down. The motion to reconsider can only be made by someone who voted on the prevailing side, as you have been told, but in most cases it must be made at the same meeting at which the motion it references was made. That option, therefore, is no longer available to you.

9 minutes ago, Guest Jason said:

I voted for a motion that was defeated so I’m not on the prevailing side. When am I allowed to bring the same vote up again for another vote?

one member says the topic can not be voted on again unless brought up for reconsideration from a member on the prevailing side. So all of us that voted for the failed motion can never bring this up again ?  Ever?  Seems unreasonable.  The vote only failed in our favor by 3%. 

That would, indeed be unreasonable.  Fortunately, that "one member" is incorrect.

You (or anyone) can renew the motion (move it again) at the next meeting (regardless of how or whether you voted).  Reconsider is used to bring the motion again before the assembly at the same session.  It would no longer be relevant now.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.