The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non-church member speaking at meeting

Guest Rightthinker

Thus, since it is a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that the right to vote is limited to the members of an organization who are actually present at the time the vote is taken in a regular or properly called meeting (p. 423), the rules cannot be suspended so as to give the right to vote to a nonmember,* [*In contrast, the rules may be suspended to allow a nonmember to speak in debate.] or to authorize absentee (pp. 423-24) voting.

RONR, 11th edition, page 263.

29 minutes ago, Guest Rightthinker said:

Is a non-member allowed to speak at a church business meeting?  

8 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

If it is not in debate on a motion, yes, if he/she has majority vote approval

I agree with the answer by jstackpo but would add that such permission is frequently (usually?) granted by unanimous consent or even by the chair on his own initiative in the absence of an objection.  It is usually handled rather informally and routinely, rather than going through the formality of a formal motion and a second, vote, etc.

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction

1 minute ago, Guest Zev said:

RONR, 11th edition, page 263.

I  would point out that the rule quoted by Guest Zev deals with a non member speaking IN DEBATE.  Only a majority vote (or unanimous consent) is necessary to permit  a non member to address the assembly if it is not in the nature of debate.

1 minute ago, jstackpo said:

Actually, FWIMBW, I have never been able to find the citation for majority permission to speak (non-debate) in the book. Any idea where?

I have been searching for it for the past five or ten minutes and cannot find it, but I know it is repeated here VERY often and I believe it does exist somewhere in the book in some fashion.  As to where, I don't yet know!

The permission to speak other than in debate would break no rule if the assembly approves, which is within its general right to control of the hall.  If a majority wishes to hear from a non-member other than in debate, it does not need to suspend any rule to do so.

But there is a rule that non-members may not speak in debate, so suspension of the rules by a 2/3 vote would be required in that case.

And it is a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that non-members may not vote, so this rule is not suspendible at all.

Edited to add:

Since all these principles are contained in the Book, the fact that we can't find explicit language that says "non-members may speak by majority vote" does not mean it's "not in there."

Edited by Gary Novosielski
as indicated

1 hour ago, jstackpo said:

Actually, FWIMBW, I have never been able to find the citation for majority permission to speak (non-debate) in the book. Any idea where?

“Request for Any Other Privilege” requires a majority vote for adoption and uses as an example “a request to address remarks or make a presentation while no motion is pending” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 399) I see no reason why this could not be used for a nonmember, although in such a case a member would need to make the request on the nonmember’s behalf.

For a presentation which is known of in advance, it might be accomplished by a main motion. “I move that Mr. X be invited to address the assembly at our next regular meeting at 6:00 PM to speak on the subject of...”

It could also be handled by including a presentation on an agenda which is adopted by the assembly.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.