The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member requests to review documents

Guest Roberta

Normally, documents that are usually not shown to members are produced to the assembly on a two-thirds vote. Let the assembly examine them during a meeting. But taking them home? If I were the treasurer I would probably resign before these documents were allowed out of my sight regardless of the vote by the assembly. How could I attest to their integrity afterwards?

11 hours ago, Guest Roberta said:

What are the rules for a member asking to review treasury documents from the prior year?  They are asking to take them home and review them such as check books, bank statements and quick books software. 

Members have no rights to inspect the documents you describe, let alone to take them home.

The society may adopt a motion permitting the member to inspect the documents if it wishes. If the society wishes to grant such permission, it would likely be prudent to place some limitations upon this in order to protect the society’s records, such as by requiring the member to inspect the documents at the society’s offices and in the Treasurer’s presence, rather than taking them home.

10 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

Normally, documents that are usually not shown to members are produced to the assembly on a two-thirds vote. Let the assembly examine them during a meeting. But taking them home? If I were the treasurer I would probably resign before these documents were allowed out of my sight regardless of the vote by the assembly. How could I attest to their integrity afterwards?

I don’t think this is analogous to board minutes. I think a majority vote would be sufficient.

12 hours ago, Guest Roberta said:

What are the rules for a member asking to review treasury documents from the prior year?

If this organization is Incorporated, such as a nonprofit corporation, you might check your State's Corporation statutes. Such statutes sometimes contain Provisions permitting members to inspect the corporation's records.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.