The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Do we have to seat new board members

Robert Dingus

We elect 4 new board members every year at an annual meeting, the candidates are screened and deemed eligible to run for Trustees of our association.

once elected by the body, does the board have to accept the elected members, fully knowing one or more members will absolutely be a burden, troublemaker, cant stay off social media stirring the pot so to speak. Our rules do not cover this situation, other then refer back to Roberts Rules of Order, and the only thing I can find, is removal of individual.

please advise Robert

If the Board thinks it has the authority to veto the results of an election by the assembly, it will have to show where that authority is granted to it. This should be explicit in the bylaws. You won't find it anywhere in RONR.

If you think that a candidate -- who has been screened and deemed eligible to run -- will not be a good Board member, then you need to nominate another individual to run against that person and campaign for your preferred choice.

Be ready for the possibility, though, that the qualities you find objectionable are exactly the reasons why the assembly wants them on the board.

Edited by Atul Kapur
Added last paragraph

1 hour ago, Robert Dingus said:

We elect 4 new board members every year at an annual meeting, the candidates are screened and deemed eligible to run for Trustees of our association.

once elected by the body, does the board have to accept the elected members, fully knowing one or more members will absolutely be a burden, troublemaker, cant stay off social media stirring the pot so to speak. Our rules do not cover this situation, other then refer back to Roberts Rules of Order, and the only thing I can find, is removal of individual.

please advise Robert

Yes, unless your bylaws permit the board to decide who sits on the board. 

2 hours ago, Robert Dingus said:

once elected by the body, does the board have to accept the elected members, fully knowing one or more members will absolutely be a burden, troublemaker, cant stay off social media stirring the pot so to speak. Our rules do not cover this situation, other then refer back to Roberts Rules of Order, and the only thing I can find, is removal of individual.

I concur with my colleagues that the board has no power to veto the membership’s election of a board member unless the bylaws provide otherwise. I would also add that, unless the bylaws provide otherwise, only the membership has the power to remove this person.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.