The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Postpone to a certain time

Tomm

If the main motion has been stated, then a motion to "postpone to a certain time" is stated, is that motion to "postpone to a certain time" considered a "primary amendment" and a "secondary amendment" can then also be offered?

We had a situation where a member wanted to make a motion to add certain conditions to the "postpone" motion, which I would have considered to be the "secondary amendment"  but the chair said it was out of order!

Am I correct that the chair got it wrong?

8 minutes ago, Tomm said:

If the main motion has been stated, then a motion to "postpone to a certain time" is stated, is that motion to "postpone to a certain time" considered a "primary amendment" and a "secondary amendment" can then also be offered?

No, postpone is not an amendment. It's a separate motion with its own rules.

8 minutes ago, Tomm said:

We had a situation where a member wanted to make a motion to add certain conditions to the "postpone" motion, which I would have considered to be the "secondary amendment"  but the chair said it was out of order!

Postpone is amendable (I think, again, my book is packed) as to the time, within the limits of the rules governing postponement. I can't speak to the particular amendment offered without more details. In any case, it is not a secondary amendment.

Edited by Joshua Katz
Typed something nonsensical by accident. I usually do it on purpose.

Mr. Katz is correct. The motion to Postpone cannot have a condition attached to it.

6. Is amendable as to the time to which the main question is to be postponed, and as to making the postponed question a special order (see pp. 185-88; 41).

RONR 11th edition page 182, Standard Descriptive Characteristic #6. My suggestion is for you to state in the debate on the motion to Postpone that if the motion is voted down you will offer a motion to Refer it to a committee with the instructions "to find alternative places to store certain pieces of equipment" or something to that effect. Whenever the committee reports, they will report that a new location has been found and suggest the amendment necessary to close the financial deal if one is needed, and the motion that you adopt will state the new location for the storage and the giveaway to the other group all in one single motion. If members do not like the arrangement they can reject the motion and the previous location is still yours and no new obligation has been assumed. If the committee has not found a new location then the assembly can reject the motion and nothing has changed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.