The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resign to run

Guest Tracy Wells

If a current board member wants to run for another position on the board do they automatically resign their current seat? And/or once they realize they may not win the new seat can they take back their old seat (even after nominations for the new seat have been submitted/considered?)

15 minutes ago, Guest Tracy Wells said:

If a current board member wants to run for another position on the board do they automatically resign their current seat? And/or once they realize they may not win the new seat can they take back their old seat (even after nominations for the new seat have been submitted/considered?)

Aren't all board member positions equivalent?

If not, what's the difference between them?

In general, nobody is required to resign a position to run for another one.  Even in cases where holding two positions is prohibited, they can still wait to see what the outcome of the election is before deciding whether to resign.

1 hour ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Aren't all board member positions equivalent?

If not, what's the difference between them?

President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer? There may well be other positions (directors) that are equivalent, but that hardly means that all are equivalent.

3 minutes ago, Weldon Merritt said:

President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer? There may well be other positions (directors) that are equivalent, but that hardly means that all are equivalent.

No, I didn't mean they had to be equivalent.  I asked if they were, and if not what the differences were, in this case.  There are several other ways they could differ, and it might matter how the officers were elected--by the membership directly into office, or by the membership to the board, and then into office via an intra-board election.  That might effect whether resigning as Secretary for example would mean resigning from the board, or merely from that office while remaining on the board.

In any case, I'll still stay with my general answer unless the OP uncovers a reason not to, which at this time seems unlikely.

14 hours ago, Guest Tracy Wells said:

All equivalent positions. I think you all have given me enough information to relay back to the board. I appreciate your input. 

Well, then why would someone want to resign or even not resign, and then run for another seat which is equivalent to the one already held?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.