The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When is it required/appropriate to abstain from a vote?

Guest Diana

Going strictly by RONR, you are never required to abstain , although you should abstain from any issue on which you have a pecuniary or personal interest not in comnon  with other memberts (e.g., your husband's salary). 

But, since you are talking about a school board, there very well may be statutory provisions that take precedence over RONR. So my advice would be to consult the board's attorney.

I agree with Weldon Merritt. Your state law will almost certainly further define what is considered a conflict under state law requiring you to abstain or recuse yourself from certain matters. Any such laws would trump the provisions in RONR. It has been my experience that such laws are usually more restrictive then the provisions in RONR .

3 hours ago, Guest Prior ND Sch Bus Mgr said:

Regarding School Districts, in ND for example, there is a ND School Board Association that is very helpful with questions such as yours

I think you would find an SBA in most states, and in my experience, they are happy to help those considering running for election with questions like this.  Some hold seminars with titles like:  "So You're Thinking of Running for School Board." 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.