The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Indecorous or not?

BabbsJohnson

If one of my fellow board members had broken down crying in a recent meeting, and when apologizing for it, told us she had a health issue that was adversely affecting her, would it be a violation of decorum if I asked aloud if she could be removed from the board for having such a health issue?

It would definitely be rude but whether it violated decorum depends on the circumstances.  I can think of cases where while such an inquiry would be very tasteless it would (if properly asked) be a valid question which would not (in my opinion) violate decorum.  In addition, the Board should be wary about removing someone simply because of him or her having a disability because that can cause them a whole new set of problems beyond what they currently may be dealing with. 

13 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

It would definitely be rude but whether it violated decorum depends on the circumstances.  I can think of cases where while such an inquiry would be very tasteless it would (if properly asked) be a valid question which would not (in my opinion) violate decorum.  In addition, the Board should be wary about removing someone simply because of him or her having a disability because that can cause them a whole new set of problems beyond what they currently may be dealing with. 

Perhaps.

Edited by .oOllXllOo.

Guest BananasForBreakfast
On 8/14/2019 at 7:26 PM, .oOllXllOo. said:

If one of my fellow board members had broken down crying in a recent meeting, and when apologizing for it, told us she had a health issue that was adversely affecting her, would it be a violation of decorum if I asked aloud if she could be removed from the board for having such a health issue?

Where I come from, that’s toeing up to lawsuit territory. 

On 8/14/2019 at 10:26 PM, BabbsJohnson said:

Are you talking about removed from the meeting or from the board?

Someone crying loudly, wailing, could violate decorum, if it disturbs the assembly (p. 394, ll.12-22).

7 minutes ago, J. J. said:

Are you talking about removed from the meeting or from the board?

Someone crying loudly, wailing, could violate decorum, if it disturbs the assembly (p. 394, ll.12-22).

From the board.

I don't think she was trying to disturb anyone, but just the same. She always has some excuse.

My dog just died. My mom just died. My husband left me. I lost my job. I lost my car. I have cancer...

It's always something. 

1 minute ago, BabbsJohnson said:

From the board.

I don't think she was trying to disturb anyone, but just the same. She always has some excuse.

My dog just died. My mom just died. My husband left me. I lost my job. I lost my car. I have cancer...

It's always something. 

Well, first the board may not have the authority to remove anyone.

Second, you will look completely heartless if you raise the question, unless the person's action is disruptive.

8 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

If you had to make a choice what would you keep and what would you discard; this bundle of never-ending excuses and sociopathic behavior, or your contribution to the well-being of the society?

I’m not sure I understand your question.

Are you asking if I could dispose of the person who has cried a few times, would I?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.