The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentary Inquiry-Duties of the Chair

Guest Fred

Would it be considered proper to make a parliamentary inquiry during a meeting and ask the chair person which duty of the chair they are currently performing?

Example: In the case of a chair that creates their own duties by merely exercising them, but is in truth, abusing their power and position, and while doing so, is not performing a duty of the chair, if they are asked what duty they are currently performing, if they cannot point out in the list of duties, in the text of RONR, which duty they are performing, can they then be asked to please adhere to the duties of the chair?

12 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

What is the chair doing?

I’m asking if it’s proper to make an inquiry for them to show the duty they are performing.

Does it matter what they are doing? If asked, and the Chair can show they are carrying out a duty, Great, if not...I’m also asking if it’s proper for them to be asked to please adhere to the duties of the Chair as defined in RONR.

If asked, they are given a choice, correct? Surely it’s not out of order to ask such a question? If it is, someone can call a point of order.

If, effectively, you are raising a point of order because the chair is doing something he/she isn't authorized to do, that's fine and proper.  You had better be able to explain what the chair is doing wrong, what rule is being violated.

If there is no rule violation, then it isn't proper to just ask "What are you up to?", for example.

14 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

If, effectively, you are raising a point of order because the chair is doing something he/she isn't authorized to do, that's fine and proper.  You had better be able to explain what the chair is doing wrong, what rule is being violated.

If there is no rule violation, then it isn't proper to just ask "What are you up to?", for example.

Can you illustrate where in RONR such an inquiry would be improper?

The Chair has specific duties. 

They are either doing a specific duty, or they are acting as any other board member, as far as debate, making motions, and voting.

If they are acting outside both of those roles, it would seem they are assuming power and ability they do not have, and in doing that, abusing the position of the Chair.

22 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

Can you illustrate where in RONR such an inquiry would be improper?

The Chair has specific duties. 

They are either doing a specific duty, or they are acting as any other board member, as far as debate, making motions, and voting.

If they are acting outside both of those roles, it would seem they are assuming power and ability they do not have, and in doing that, abusing the position of the Chair.

Duties of the chairman are mentioned on pages 449-452. Check your bylaws, there may be others. Two other issues come to mind: observance, also by the chair, of proper decorum, and the mechanics of the steps in the introduction, debate, and adoption or rejection of motions. You will need to review those sections in order to answer your question. If you can supply a specific case, the forum can provide the answer you are looking for. 

2 hours ago, Guest Fred said:

Would it be considered proper to make a parliamentary inquiry during a meeting and ask the chair person which duty of the chair they are currently performing?

I think it would be in order, but I don’t think it’s an especially clear way of making the point you are getting at. I would ask more directly, such as “The chairman appears to be (description of action). Could the chairman describe what rule authorizes him to do this?”

I also think an example of the conduct at issue would be helpful.

2 hours ago, Guest Fred said:

Example: In the case of a chair that creates their own duties by merely exercising them, but is in truth, abusing their power and position, and while doing so, is not performing a duty of the chair, if they are asked what duty they are currently performing, if they cannot point out in the list of duties, in the text of RONR, which duty they are performing, can they then be asked to please adhere to the duties of the chair?

This is all extremely hypothetical, but if the chair is in fact acting in a manner outside of his authority (whether granted by RONR or the society’s rules), a member could raise a Point of Order.

Edited by Josh Martin

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

I think it would be in order, but I don’t think it’s an especially clear way of making the point you are getting at. I would ask more directly, such as “The chairman appears to be (description of action). Could the chairman describe what rule authorizes him to do this?”

I also think an example of the conduct at issue would be helpful.

This is all extremely hypothetical, but if the chair is in fact acting in a manner outside of his authority (whether granted by RONR or the society’s rules), a member could raise a Point of Order.

Thank you, good points, all noted.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.