The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How do we handle this?

CB2

So we have a member that is going to receive a disciplinary letter which will be finalized at a meeting, down the road. Removal of said person from the board.

However, we don't think they will come to that meeting. How is that handled if they don't show?

We know they have a right to vote for themselves to stay of the board. When they are disciplined they also aren't allowed to do anything board related until the appeal is finalized.  What are the proper steps for this?

Also, the board member lives in another state than the meeting place. All flights are usually paid for by the Association, are we still supposed to pay for a flight for this person? 

CB2

1 hour ago, CB2 said:

So we have a member that is going to receive a disciplinary letter which will be finalized at a meeting, down the road. Removal of said person from the board.

However, we don't think they will come to that meeting. How is that handled if they don't show?

RONR doesn't say (though your Bylaws should) but I don't think you can go wrong in sending it by Registered Mail to the member with a requirement it be signed for as proof it was received.

We know they have a right to vote for themselves to stay of the board. When they are disciplined they also aren't allowed to do anything board related until the appeal is finalized.  What are the proper steps for this?

The details on how this "Appeal" is conducted should be in your Bylaws.

Also, the board member lives in another state than the meeting place. All flights are usually paid for by the Association, are we still supposed to pay for a flight for this person? 

Again those details should be located in the organization's rules.

8 hours ago, CB2 said:

So we have a member that is going to receive a disciplinary letter...

If you haven't already, give a close reading to Chapter XX, particularly starting on page 654. It pretty well covers all the steps, if your bylaws don't.

Edited by jstackpo

13 hours ago, jstackpo said:

If you haven't already, give a close reading to Chapter XX, particularly starting on page 654. It pretty well covers all the steps, if your bylaws don't.

Yes, but I don’t think Ch. XX answers any of the OP’s specific questions.

RONR does not describe the process of “finalizing a disciplinary letter,” It has no appeal process for discipline, and it has nothing regarding who pays for flights.

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

Yes, but I don’t think Ch. XX answers any of the OP’s specific questions.

Well, it does say that until the discipline is imposed, the member retains their rights. So, presumably, at this stage the member would still be entitled to have their flight paid for.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Well, it does say that until the discipline is imposed, the member retains their rights. So, presumably, at this stage the member would still be entitled to have their flight paid for.

I would not make this presumption based upon the facts presided, since all that we have been told so far is that flights are usually paid for by the Association. I do not know whether this is merely a custom, or if there is in fact a rule granting members a right to have their flights paid for by the association (and if the latter, whether there are some circumstances where this rule does not apply, since it is only “usually” and not “always”).

Not sure why we're picking this particular nit, but...

I acknowledged that it was a presumption by use of the word "presumably". Presumption is, at least in this case, based on probability, and the word "usually" was enough for me to determine that it was more probable than not.

I did not make a definitive pronouncement because that would have been presumptuous.

And, reverting to parliamentary questions, even if there was not a rule, the removal of an entitlement that is given by custom would still amount to discipline, which has not yet been decided / imposed.

3 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

And, reverting to parliamentary questions, even if there was not a rule, the removal of an entitlement that is given by custom would still amount to discipline, which has not yet been decided / imposed.

I disagree. If it is merely customary to provide flights to members, the assembly may deviate from this custom in a particular case by majority vote. No disciplinary procedures are required.

3 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

the assembly may deviate from this custom in a particular case by majority vote.

Even if it's retroactive? In this case the motion would be considered at the meeting to which the member has already flown.

And even if it's not retroactive, you're suggesting that a motion to remove travel reimbursement from one member only would not be seen as disciplinary?

14 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

Even if it's retroactive? In this case the motion would be considered at the meeting to which the member has already flown.

And even if it's not retroactive, you're suggesting that a motion to remove travel reimbursement from one member only would not be seen as disciplinary?

If it is merely a custom to reimburse members for their flights, no rule in RONR prevents the assembly from deviating from this custom in a particular case, even if the flight has already occurred.

I have no disagreement that a motion to remove travel reimbursement for a particular member is “disciplinary” in a more general sense of the word, but it does not require formal disciplinary procedures to take such an action. A custom, in my view, is not sufficient to create a right which may be removed only through disciplinary procedures.

Edited by Josh Martin

Until the next time.
I would take this as an opportunity to clarify and remove any ambiguity before the next time it happens again. (as an analogy, using the time you visited the emergency department for chest pain as an opportunity to finally backup the computer; update your file of important documents, e-documents, and passwords; stop smoking, etc, even though they didn't find anything dangerous during the visit.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.