The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Subcommitte quorum

Guest Penni Pautz

Subcommittees of a small executive board of directors (12 total) for a non-profit are having a hard time meeting the quorum requirement.  Generally there are 4-6 committee members to each subcommittee.  These subcommittees do research and make recommendations to the executive board.  Is there any way the subcommittees can still meet and conduct business without a quorum?

The quorum in a committee is a majority of its membership unless the assembly has prescribed a different quorum (40).

RONR 11th edition, page 499.

In other words, if these committees were created by the executive board  then the executive board can establish the quorum, even if that number is one since there is such a thing as a committee of one. If the committees were established in the bylaws then the quorum is a majority of its members.

I'll rephrase my question.  Do your Bylaws actually provide for the Subcommittee in question?  Or did the Board (or Executive Committee) decide at some point that there was a need to create this Subcommittee?  Your answer will determine whether amending the Bylaws is required in order to allow Electronic Meetings.

4 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

I'll rephrase my question.  Do your Bylaws actually provide for the Subcommittee in question?  Or did the Board (or Executive Committee) decide at some point that there was a need to create this Subcommittee?  Your answer will determine whether amending the Bylaws is required in order to allow Electronic Meetings.

Did I miss something?  How did electronic meetings get mixed up in this?

17 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Did I miss something?  How did electronic meetings get mixed up in this?

A possible option for conducting business if part of the problem is getting enough people to the same place at the same time.  I'd imagine a lot more people would be willing to "attend" the meeting at the end of a long day if they can do it from their own computer at home with a cold one at their side.  ;)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.