The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committees for discipline, or to hear a trial

Guest Marge

If a matter came up that would require a committee for either an investigation, or discipline, or to hear a trial,  can those committees contain the accused or the accuser?

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place, or perhaps I’m not reading the text correctly, but these questions and their answers don’t seem clear to me.

It would seem that they should not contain the accused,  but I am uncertain about the one who does the accusing.

1 hour ago, Guest Marge said:

If a matter came up that would require a committee for either an investigation, or discipline, or to hear a trial,  can those committees contain the accused or the accuser?

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place, or perhaps I’m not reading the text correctly, but these questions and their answers don’t seem clear to me.

It would seem that they should not contain the accused,  but I am uncertain about the one who does the accusing.

No rule in RONR explicitly prohibits either of these things. It is ultimately up to the society to determine who shall serve on these committees. I think it would, however, be extremely unusual to appoint the accused to such committees.

I would note that RONR does not use the term “accuser.” RONR grants no special status to the person who originally raises claims against another member. I can see reasonable arguments for and against including such a person on disciplinary committees, and it may well depend on the specifics of the particular case.

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

No rule in RONR explicitly prohibits either of these things. It is ultimately up to the society to determine who shall serve on these committees. I think it would, however, be extremely unusual to appoint the accused to such committees.

I would note that RONR does not use the term “accuser.” RONR grants no special status to the person who originally raises claims against another member. I can see reasonable arguments for and against including such a person on disciplinary committees, and it may well depend on the specifics of the particular case.

That is surprising to me, that no rules exist. I’d think it would be difficult for someone who had charges brought against them to be objective when making decisions about their own investigation, discipline, or trial.

6 minutes ago, Guest Marge said:

That is surprising to me, that no rules exist. I’d think it would be difficult for someone who had charges brought against them to be objective when making decisions about their own investigation, discipline, or trial.

Well, the investigative committee reports to the society's assembly, so they are not the final arbiter of the matter.  Do your bylaws spell out how special committees are appointed?  

17 hours ago, Guest Marge said:

Yes, I think so too. But the assembly decides who to appoint, so the assembly can simply not appoint the accused.

On 9/25/2019 at 3:59 PM, Guest Marge said:

So do I, which is why it's hard to imagine a majority would agree to putting that person on the committee.  Sometimes RONR tends to rely on the wisdom of the assembly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.