The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President - removal of member on a special council

Guest Adam

20 minutes ago, Guest Adam said:

Can the president (ex-officio)  of the board remove a sitting member of a special council and/or dissolve such council?

The President has such powers as the bylaws provide. I doubt they provide anything resembling such powers. I do not know what you mean by the president (ex-officio). An ex-officio member of a board is a person who is a member of the board by virtue of holding another position.

21 minutes ago, Guest Adam said:

Or does the board need to vote for removal?

The board, similarly, has such powers as are provided in the bylaws. The board cannot remove a member unless the bylaws provide that it can. I would not be surprised if they do so provide, though.

Guest rephrase of the question

The president of the board is also on the council via ex-officio member.      So as a member of the special council as ex-officio - can the president remove a member on that council - according to roberts rules?

this would be  a clarification of my original post.

The answer depends on the exact nature of this Special Council, which is not something we can answer for you. For example, what is the council's mandate and term? How are the members appointed to this Council?

If this council is actually what RONR would call a committee, then whoever has the authority to appoint the members of the committee also has the authority to fill vacancies and, if I recall correctly from previous discussions on this forum, the authority to replace members.

Edited by Atul Kapur
Corrected typo

10 hours ago, Guest rephrase of the question said:

The president of the board is also on the council via ex-officio member.      So as a member of the special council as ex-officio - can the president remove a member on that council - according to roberts rules?

Ah, I see. First, the fact that he is ex-officio a member of the council is irrelevant. Second - how did the person whose removal is being considered get on the special council - and what is the special council?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.