The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recinding a motion

Guest Jack K.

At our regular October monthly Business Meeting I made a motion that the “Business Meeting will begin with the Pledge of Allegiance” The motion was seconded, discussed, voted and passed.

Now I hear that “the Executive Committee reviewed the concerns raised by Members concerning the process by which the requirement that all Business Meetings will open with the Pledge was presented. These concerns were taken seriously and will be addressed at the Business Meeting on November 1”..

My question is, if the Business Meeting scheduled for Nov. 1st starts with the approved motion from the previous meeting, namely the "Pledge Of Allegiance”, will this negate anyone trying to rescind the motion of "starting our Business Meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance" since the motion will have been acted upon by the membership by saying the Pledge at the start of the Nov. 1st meeting.  Or is there any other way that someone could kill the motion?

38 minutes ago, Guest Jack K. said:

At our regular October monthly Business Meeting I made a motion that the “Business Meeting will begin with the Pledge of Allegiance” The motion was seconded, discussed, voted and passed.

Now I hear that “the Executive Committee reviewed the concerns raised by Members concerning the process by which the requirement that all Business Meetings will open with the Pledge was presented. These concerns were taken seriously and will be addressed at the Business Meeting on November 1”..

My question is, if the Business Meeting scheduled for Nov. 1st starts with the approved motion from the previous meeting, namely the "Pledge Of Allegiance”, will this negate anyone trying to rescind the motion of "starting our Business Meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance" since the motion will have been acted upon by the membership by saying the Pledge at the start of the Nov. 1st meeting.  Or is there any other way that someone could kill the motion?

I think it's a danger sign that the Executive Committee thinks it can meddle in the decisions of the Membership.  Any idea what problems they have with "the process?" 

It seems to me that if Members had a problem, the time to raise it was when the motion was being discussed.  But yes, it's possible to rescind the motion. 

I'm not convinced the message sent qualifies as previous notice of intent to Rescind, so that might affect the vote threshold required, but the motion is not "completed"  until all future meetings are done with.  So it could be rescinded or amended at any meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.