The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarian rules

peaches70

Let me explain our procedure we start our annual meeting then the agenda is approved after that the amendments are brought up each Amendment is placed on the floor for discussion, then a vote is done.. My question is this year we have several amendments that's going into the same section of our documents so if one is approved 2 is not 3 is approved then three would cancel out number one because it wasn't in number three. My question is can a person who submits an amendment make Corrections or changes to the amendment before it is placed on the floor for discussion?

Maybe. What are these amendments to?  New motions?  Previously adopted motions?  Amendments to your governing documents?  Depending on what exactly you are proposing amendments to it may be possible to unilaterally tweak the amendment prior to the question being stated, or it can be done but the voting requirement for the motion may be higher, or it may not be possible at all.

These are amendments to our documents adding or deleting a section of our governing documents. this would be done at our annual meeting of members voting to accept or reject the amendments. My question is: when two amendments are about the same section, and both parties want the amendment offered for a vote. If both are voted to be accepted. Does the 2nd amendment replace the first amendment?  Noting the wording is different.

I would like to change my amendment to include the first one voted on, but don't know until the vote if the membership wants the first one. I feel that the best action would be to request permission from the membership to make the change. 

53 minutes ago, peaches70 said:

My question is: when two amendments are about the same section, and both parties want the amendment offered for a vote. If both are voted to be accepted. Does the 2nd amendment replace the first amendment?  Noting the wording is different.

Yes. If multiple conflicting amendments have received proper notice, all are considered. In such a case, the last amendment adopted is what takes effect.

55 minutes ago, peaches70 said:

I would like to change my amendment to include the first one voted on, but don't know until the vote if the membership wants the first one. I feel that the best action would be to request permission from the membership to make the change. 

It seems to me such an amendment is within the scope of notice. The proper course of action to accomplish this is, when the amendment is pending, to move to amend it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.