The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes of a special committee

mjhmjh

1 hour ago, mjhmjh said:

Once a special committee completes its business, is the Secretary responsible for keeping its minutes on file? [RONR (11th ed.), p. 458, II. 34] says that the Secretary must "Keep on file all committee reports" but I can't find anything about the secretary keeping the committee minutes on file.

First off, committees don’t usually keep formal minutes. Instead, the chairman usually keeps notes of the proceedings. However, if your committee does keep form minutes, I would think the secretary would be the person to retain them, unless they are passed on from committee secretary to committee secretary. See page 500 of RONR for more on committee minutes. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction

2 hours ago, mjhmjh said:

Once a special committee completes its business, is the Secretary responsible for keeping its minutes on file? [RONR (11th ed.), p. 458, II. 34] says that the Secretary must "Keep on file all committee reports" but I can't find anything about the secretary keeping the committee minutes on file.

It doesn’t say anything about that because committees generally do not keep minutes, since the reports serve as the committee’s records.

In the event the committee does keep minutes, I agree that the Secretary would keep them.

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

First off, committees don’t usually keep formal minutes. Instead, the chairman usually keeps notes of the proceedings. However, if your committee does keep form minutes, I would think the secretary would be the person to retain them, unless they are passed on from committee secretary to committee secretary. See page 500 of RONR for more on committee minutes. 

Since this is a special committee, when the committee has completed its business, there is no longer a committee secretary to pass the minutes on to.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.