The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of an Officer

Guest Gregory

In my college's faculty organization, there is a general feeling that the newly elected chair is not up to the task of fulfilling his duties competently. There has been talk (only in the hypothetical) of working to remove him from office.

I've looked at Robert's Rules.  Our organization has the following language: The term of office for officers shall be two years.

I gather that since there is no "or" that means the paragraph regarding officers who serve "only a fixed term" is applicable, and that the officer can be removed only for cause.  We presume that the officer in question is "neglecting duty" since there has been a general lack of preparation (showing up late for meetings, incorrectly summarizing previous proceedings, and a lack of understanding of how procedure should be followed) that is making the body unhappy.  

We really don't want to remove him from office...  there are other avenues that we are exploring, including possibly asking him to voluntarily step down.  But if worst came to worst, and he did not wish to step down, how would we go about removing him?  Could it be as simple as a vote of the majority of the entire body?  (As academics of various departments, we are not really equipped to conduct an investigation or hold disciplinary hearings.)  

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Gregory

I agree with Dr. Kapur that your first step should be to talk with him with the hope that he will agree to get some kind of help to aid him in becoming a better presiding officer.  One alternative is some sort of arrangement to permit someone else to preside at meetings.  A second step, if that fails, would be to ask him to voluntarily step down in a way that would avoid embarrassment.  Removal from office should be a last resort.  The procedure for removal from office, as I believe you already know, is contained in chapter XX of RONR.  You might also look at FAQ # 20 on the main website as a starting point:  http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#20

1 hour ago, Guest Gregory said:

But if worst came to worst, and he did not wish to step down, how would we go about removing him? 

Since the officer has a fixed term, this requires the formal disciplinary procedures in RONR, which involves an investigative committee and a trial.

Could it be as simple as a vote of the majority of the entire body?

Nope.

(As academics of various departments, we are not really equipped to conduct an investigation or hold disciplinary hearings.)  

Unfortunately, this is what is required.

In the long run, it seems that it would be prudent to amend the bylaws.

2 hours ago, Guest Gregory said:

(As academics of various departments, we are not really equipped to conduct an investigation or hold disciplinary hearings.) 

Agreeing with Mr. Martin, I will just add that this is the procedure for any voluntary association. While I understand that academics may very well be less competent than the general population in many domains, 😁 I think that your association will be  up to the task if required. Again, you should hire a professional parliamentarian to help you through that process.

2 hours ago, Guest Gregory said:

Agreeing with Mr. Martin and Dr. Kapur, your organization is free to create a disciplinary committee as suggested on page 669 of RONR to handle disciplinary matters.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.