The Official RONR Q & A Forums

approval of minutes

Guest David Henke

Recently our new seated majority council approved minutes from a previous council meeting though one page was missing and paragraphs were out of order.  Their claim was that minutes could be viewed on-line as opposed to our sealed packet delivered to each council member by a police officer.  I thought the packet was delivered in this way as the official version to be voted upon and one cannot refer to some other version posted or not posted.  The online is not official until the council approves some form of minutes.  Without amending or substituting what is the correct method to approve minutes?

On 2/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, Guest David Henke said:

Recently our new seated majority council approved minutes from a previous council meeting though one page was missing and paragraphs were out of order.  Their claim was that minutes could be viewed on-line as opposed to our sealed packet delivered to each council member by a police officer.  I thought the packet was delivered in this way as the official version to be voted upon and one cannot refer to some other version posted or not posted.  The online is not official until the council approves some form of minutes.  Without amending or substituting what is the correct method to approve minutes?

If the draft minutes were incorrect, corrections should be offered to make them right.  Approving minutes that are not correct is a self-inflicted wound.

If the silly "claim was made" that they could be viewed online, that suggests to me that it was in response to a complaint that a page was missing and paragraphs were out of order.  If that's the case, it points out the difference between complaining and offering an actual correction.

12 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

If the draft minutes were incorrect, corrections should be offered to make them right.  Approving minutes that are not correct is a self-inflicted wound.

If the silly "claim was made" that they could be viewed online, that suggests to me that it was in response to a complaint that a page was missing and paragraphs were out of order.  If that's the case, it points out the difference between complaining and offering an actual correction.

I agree and would add that if properly correcting the minutes at the time would be difficult or time consuming, the correction of those minutes could have been referred to a committee or postponed until the next meeting so as to enable the secretary to get it right.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.