The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary quals.

Guest Len Jones

4 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

May an elected official take personal notes in Executive Session & take them outside of Executive Session (home or to the office)?  

Guest guest, in the future please post your question as a new topic even if it seems that might possibly fit in with an existing topic.

To answer your question, nothing in RONR prevents a member from taking notes during an executive session and keeping those notes. However, since this is apparently a public body, there might well be laws or superior rules which prohibit it. 

I don't have the book in front of me (and I nominate  IDHTBIFOM as an approved acronym on this forum) but, as I recall, the only prohibition is that you cannot share the proceedings of what went on in executive session with those who were not there or were not entitled to be there.

While the risk of that occurring is likely higher if someone has made notes and taken them home, you cannot presume that the one automatically leads to the other. Nevertheless, it may be prudent for the chair to remind members that they are responsible for the security of any notes that they take in executive session.

And there are entirely legitimate reasons for someone to take notes during an executive session. To give just one example, as an aide-memoire for when they review the draft minutes.

Edited by Atul Kapur
Added last paragraph

7 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

as I recall, the only prohibition is that you cannot share the proceedings of what went on in executive session with those who were not there or were not entitled to be there.

I don't think the current edition says anything so specific about what constitutes violating the secrecy of an executive session.

7 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

And there are entirely legitimate reasons for someone to take notes during an executive session. To give just one example, as an aide-memoire for when they review the draft minutes.

Or, as they say on the other side of the river, an aide-mémoire.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.