The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot requiring votes for all board positions

Guest DizzyMee

I recently participated in an election done electronically, wherein there were eight people running for five board member positions. The form was set up to require five votes to be cast before I could submit it, even though my preference was to only vote for three of the board members and abstain as to the other two board member slots. Our bylaws don’t speak to this issue and RR should control.  I’ve been told by a friend that this did not comply with Robert’s Rules, but I’m having trouble locating the rule. Does anyone have insight?

5 minutes ago, Guest DizzyMee said:

I recently participated in an election done electronically, wherein there were eight people running for five board member positions. The form was set up to require five votes to be cast before I could submit it, even though my preference was to only vote for three of the board members and abstain as to the other two board member slots. Our bylaws don’t speak to this issue and RR should control.  I’ve been told by a friend that this did not comply with Robert’s Rules, but I’m having trouble locating the rule. Does anyone have insight?

"RIGHT OF ABSTENTION. Although it is the duty of every member who has an opinion on a question to express it by his vote, he can abstain, since he cannot be compelled to vote. By the same token, when an office or position is to be filled by a number of members, as in the case of a committee, or positions on a board, a member may partially abstain by voting for less than all of those for whom he is entitled to vote. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 407

On 4/22/2020 at 12:23 PM, Guest DizzyMee said:

That electronic system does not seem capable of complying with the rules in RONR, and therefore would not be suitable.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.