The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ineligible write in candidate

AFS1970

In an election where members need to meet certain requirements for office, what is the status of a ballot that has a write in name for someone who is not eligible? Is this a vote, in which case it effects the total. or an abstention in which case it doesn't? I would think on the one hand it is a vote, as the member clearly did not intend to not vote but I can also see it not counting as the candidate would not have been allowed to pass the normal nomination process. 

10 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

In an election where members need to meet certain requirements for office, what is the status of a ballot that has a write in name for someone who is not eligible? Is this a vote, in which case it effects the total. or an abstention in which case it doesn't? I would think on the one hand it is a vote, as the member clearly did not intend to not vote but I can also see it not counting as the candidate would not have been allowed to pass the normal nomination process. 

Take a look at what is said in the middle of 45:32.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:22 AM, AFS1970 said:

A vote for someone not eligible is an illegal vote.  It counts as a vote cast, not as an abstention, so it can affect the number required for a majority.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.