The Official RONR Q & A Forums

remote attendance parlimentarian

paul545

Hi, with more and more hoa board meetings being held remotely.  We are looking for a parlimentarian that would remotely attend our monthly meetings. Be impartial.  Keep the minutes.

I see fees all over the  place.   Obviously, if someone has to come to your site, the fee would be higher.   I've already looked at the NAP web site . Does anyone have any suggestions where we can contract with a parlimentarian who will preside over our meetings and be responsible for taking the minutes and updating the minutes and following the agenda.

6 minutes ago, paul545 said:

Hi, with more and more hoa board meetings being held remotely.  We are looking for a parlimentarian that would remotely attend our monthly meetings. Be impartial.  Keep the minutes.

I see fees all over the  place.   Obviously, if someone has to come to your site, the fee would be higher.   I've already looked at the NAP web site . Does anyone have any suggestions where we can contract with a parlimentarian who will preside over our meetings and be responsible for taking the minutes and updating the minutes and following the agenda.

The National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referral services.

I would note that I do not think it is advisable to attempt to have the same person both preside over meetings and be responsible for taking the minutes. It is difficult to focus on both of those tasks at the same time. I would suggest that the secretary continue to take minutes, perhaps with the parliamentarian providing some training in this regard and providing assistance after meetings in editing the draft minutes.

Edited by Josh Martin

josh, thanks for your input.

we currently are using a parlimentarian who was referred to us. In my opinion, after 4 months, he should have taken the time to familiarize himself with the ins and outs of our bylaws and texas hoa law.  I mean his fee is rather high and it's hourly, and he's slow.. I've done a basic google search and did come across a few parlimentarians who have a much more reasonable hourly rate for remotely presiding over meetings.

In my opinion, this organization should rethink its expectations for a parliamentarian. If knowledge of HOA law is necessary, the organization should either hire an attorney in addition to a parliamentarian, or hire a parliamentarian who is also an attorney and specializes in HOAs. Taking minutes while being a parliamentarian also seems very challenging to me. If the parliamentarian also serves as presiding officer, I don't really see how it's possible unless we're talking about a very small meeting or a superhuman parliamentarian. Certainly, if someone does it, I'd expect them to wind up being slow at both tasks.

Lawyers who are not parliamentarians should not advise on parliamentary procedure. Parliamentarians who are not lawyers should not give legal advice. The latter is more apt to get in trouble. People who are lawyers also should not give legal advice unless they are engaged to do so.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.