The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Moratorium

Guest aalkahlilbey9@gmail.com

20 minutes ago, Guest aalkahlilbey9@gmail.com said:

Can a motion be made to place a motion not to vote on something for a year; i.e. (MOtion):  I motion that the motion just voted on not be brought up for at least a year.

Yes, but it is likely to not be 100 percent effective as there are various ways to get around it.  You might take a look at this recent discussion for more information and to see some of the difficulties and possible ways to accomplish the goal of not permitting a matter to be brought before the assembly again for at least one year: https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/36775-motion-to-never-reconsider-or-discuss-again/

There are some other similar older discussions on this forum.  The motion, as you propose it, appears to be in the nature of a rule of order which can be suspended with a two thirds vote.  In addition, it could be rescinded or amended by use of the motion to Rescind or Amend Something Previously adopted.  That motion requires a majority vote if  previous notice of it is given.  Without previous notice, it would require a two thirds vote or the vote of a majority of the entire membership.

As you can see from the discussion in the thread I referenced, a bylaws amendment is another  option.

In a nutshell, you can make it more difficult to bring a matter up again, but it is hard to make it impossible to do.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.