The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Postpone meeting due to weather

Guest shirley

My local chapter of an international organization has a regularly scheduled meeting tomorrow. The weather is forecast to be quite severe so some have asked about postponing the meeting. Our chapter rules nor do the other governing documents state anything about how to handle this type of situation. I've searched the forum here but was unable to find questions similar to this. Thank you for your time. 

19 minutes ago, Guest shirley said:

My local chapter of an international organization has a regularly scheduled meeting tomorrow. The weather is forecast to be quite severe so some have asked about postponing the meeting. Our chapter rules nor do the other governing documents state anything about how to handle this type of situation. I've searched the forum here but was unable to find questions similar to this. Thank you for your time. 

There is nothing in RONR which allows the meeting to be postponed by making some announcement outside of a meeting setting. 

One member could actually go to the site at the appointed time and call the meeting to order and set an adjourned meeting (another meeting which would be a continuation of the same session) for a convenient time before the next regular meeting.  Then let everyone know about it.  See §22 in RONR (12th ed.)

I'm not sure I'd recommend that if it's not completely safe to do so.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:17 PM, George Mervosh said:

There is nothing in RONR which allows the meeting to be postponed by making some announcement outside of a meeting setting. 

One member could actually go to the site at the appointed time and call the meeting to order and set an adjourned meeting (another meeting which would be a continuation of the same session) for a convenient time before the next regular meeting.  Then let everyone know about it.  See §22 in RONR (12th ed.)

I'm not sure I'd recommend that if it's not completely safe to do so.

Thank you!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.