The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

Guest HOA Questioner

42 minutes ago, Guest HOA Questioner said:

Can a person running for election to a Board serve on the Nominating Committee?

Yes.

"Members of the nominating committee are not barred from becoming nominees for office themselves. To make such a requirement would mean, first, that service on the nominating committee carried a penalty by depriving its members of one of their privileges; and second, that appointment or election to the nominating committee could be used to prevent a member from becoming a nominee." RONR (12th ed.) 46:12

Edited by Josh Martin

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2021 at 6:07 PM, Josh Martin said:

Yes.

"Members of the nominating committee are not barred from becoming nominees for office themselves. To make such a requirement would mean, first, that service on the nominating committee carried a penalty by depriving its members of one of their privileges; and second, that appointment or election to the nominating committee could be used to prevent a member from becoming a nominee." RONR (12th ed.) 46:12

Interesting. If this is not new to RONR, do you know where I can find it in the 11th edition?

2 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

The text is identical to that in the 11th edition.  In the 11th edition, it is on page 433, lines 29-35.

Thanks much.

I also found that that is where it states the president should definitely not appoint the nominating committee or be a member of it.

I submitted a new topic asking for the rationale for this restriction. Hoping you will answer either here or there....

On 5/31/2021 at 5:48 PM, Al Dunbar said:

Thanks much.

I also found that that is where it states the president should definitely not appoint the nominating committee or be a member of it.

I submitted a new topic asking for the rationale for this restriction. Hoping you will answer either here or there....

It is not typically the case that the rationale for all the rules is spelled out in RONR, though it sometimes is.

One method for determining why a given rule is a good idea is to amend the bylaws to eliminate that rule and then watch to see what disasters occur as a result.  It shouldn't take long.  Even so I can't in good conscience recommend this method.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.