The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Accepting or Declining Nominations

Eli Zupke

For my organization's elections, our bylaws require nominations to be from the floor. It is customary during nominations for each nomination to be immediately accepted or declined by the nominee, and nominees who accept have the option to decline in the time immediately after the meeting.

Our bylaws and other relevant governing documents are silent on this issue, and I couldn't find anything in Robert's Rules on this.

• Does this custom conflict with Robert's Rules?
  • If not, are there any reasons why we might want to move away from this custom?

Are the elections being held at the same meeting?

People can't be elected to an office against their will, reference RONR 46:46:

An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline.

so I don't see that there's nothing wrong with allowing people to decline a nomination - it's effectively a "if you elect me, I'm not going to serve" notification. It feels efficient to me. But if they're nominated, are elected, and voice no objection at the time, after the meeting would be too late to change their mind.

Requiring nominees to accept a nomination is unnecessary. Not immediately objecting implies consent, provided they're present.

Reasons to *not* do nominations from the floor include a more robust vetting process. If there's a nominating committee they can seek out people that are both interested *and* have the qualifications. It also makes the process a bit more streamlined to have a nominating committee, since you're not scrambling at the meeting to figure out who is going to run.

4 hours ago, Eli Zupke said:

For my organization's elections, our bylaws require nominations to be from the floor. It is customary during nominations for each nomination to be immediately accepted or declined by the nominee, and nominees who accept have the option to decline in the time immediately after the meeting.

Our bylaws and other relevant governing documents are silent on this issue, and I couldn't find anything in Robert's Rules on this.

• If not, are there any reasons why we might want to move away from this custom?

No, your custom does not conflict with RONR.  Even though your organization does not use a nominating committee (and RONR does not require one), this is what RONR says in Section 46:13 about a nominating committee getting the consent of nominees.  Perhaps it is illustrative of a good practice:  "It is desirable policy for the nominating committee, before making its report, to contact each person whom it wishes to nominate, in order to obtain his acceptance of nomination— that is, his assurance that he will serve in the specified office if elected. The bylaws can make such a practice mandatory."

As to when an election takes effect, RONR says this in section 46:46:  "Time at Which an Election Takes Effect. An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline. If he does decline, the election is incomplete, and another vote can be taken immediately or at the next meeting without further notice. After an election has become final as stated in this paragraph, it is too late to reconsider (37) the vote on the election."

In conclusion, it is always a good idea to try to determine prior to nominating someone if he will serve if elected, but it is not actually required by RONR.   However, some organizations have their own rules requiring that the consent of nominees be obtained prior to or at the time of being nominated.  

The only troublesome aspect of your custom is that RONR provides that if a nominee has given his consent prior to the election, his election is final at the time he is elected.  Only those who have not yet agreed to serve or are absent at the time of the election have the option of declining to serve once elected.  If someone who has consented to serve is elected and then changes his mind, his only option per RONR is to submit a resignation if he does not want to serve.

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited last paragraph to conform to the original post

No. RONR does not require this practice, but it also does not prohibit it.

I would point out that persons who are absent at the time of nominations may still be nominated. Organizations with a custom such as this one are sometimes under the mistaken impression that this is not the case.

It seems to me that knowing whether a person wishes to serve is a valuable service to the assembly. The only potential downside to this practice I can see is that it could take up some time. If that is becoming an issue, an alternative might be to instruct nominees to speak out if they wish to decline, and to assume that nominees who remain silent accept their nomination.

Edited by Josh Martin

17 hours ago, RSW said:

Are the elections being held at the same meeting?

14 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

The only troublesome aspect of your custom is that RONR provides that if a nominee has given his consent prior to the election, his election is final at the time he is elected. 

There is a week's delay between nomination and election, and this is when people are changing their mind.

14 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

an alternative might be to instruct nominees to speak out if they wish to decline, and to assume that nominees who remain silent accept their nomination.

I think this is an excellent idea, and I'll suggest it to the organization.

Thank you everyone for the answers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.